Basically there are two system of management in Heliculture. These include:
- The condition of the environment closely resembles the natural habit of snails compared to other systems.
- Low labour and low general management input i.e. inexpensive to maintain
- The farmer needs not purchase feed because it is already available in the snailery.
- There is no restriction on the movement of the snails.
- Little control over the performance of snails
- It requires a lot of land compared to others of production.
- Record keeping is difficult.
- Poor disease management.
- The snails are exposed to predators’ attacked (e.g. soldier ants)
- Mortality rate could be higher than other systems.
- Semi-Intensive System
- The system is like the extensive system except that the snails are supplied
- with feeds besides what is grown in the snailery